We often hear parents wonder how to get their child to sleep through the night. It is a common challenge for parents. As for newborns, they usually wake up every few hours during the night in search of satiating their small stomachs.
As the child grows, he is no longer dependent on night feedings. This is the stage where most parents think their child will sleep soundly through the night. But it doesn’t always happen.
Babies or young children cannot sleep through the night without waking up in the middle unless they learn this skill; yes, sleeping is a skill. So instead of going through traditional remedies, here are some clinically preferred solutions that will answer how to get your child to sleep through the night.
Here’s how to get your child to sleep through the night
Your baby may experience various sleep problems. If any of the problems occur, or if your child is simply having trouble sleeping, here are steps she can take.
1. Establish a proper bedtime routine. It’s not too early to get newborns into a scheduled sleep routine. In fact, it helps them from an early stage to be able to sleep through the night without discomfort.
2. While your baby is about to sleep, wrap him in a nice and light pajamas, calm him down, wrap him up, give him a little hug. That gives them a sense of security and helps them sleep without fear. Refrain from these activities during sleep, it will only disturb them.
3. Train your baby to calm himself. That means, when your baby cries in the middle of the night, give her her time, but limit it. That way, they’ll know it’s still time to sleep.
4. Reduce night feedings. Whenever their baby wakes up in the middle of the night, most mothers reported that they feed him back to sleep.
However, if you get the “okay” from the doctor to stop night feedings, slowly make your baby realize that she won’t be able to feed herself if she cries at night.
5. Make sure your room is calm and relaxing. Noises and bright lights will never help a child to sleep. Keep the light as low as possible.
6. Always follow proper bedtime routines. No matter how much your baby cries at night and slips out of sleep, a parent should never forget that night is for sleep, both for the baby and the parents. Therefore, it is necessary to follow a routine.
7. Be patient. Maybe your baby doesn’t get into the routine soon or starts to sleep peacefully at night. Still, she doesn’t give up on nurturing her and start enjoying activities with them. Be patient and keep working on her sleeping patterns.
Keeping up with all these activities is the perfect solution for your child to sleep through the night. However, in the event of any serious or unusual behavior of the child, consult your doctor.