Reliving a "Dead" Candle

Consumers burning highly scented jar candles should always remember to keep their wicks at 1/4 “before and during a burning session. Before a burning session, the wicks should be trimmed, preferably with a wick cutter that collects the wicks. cuts into a contained dish and allows for easy disposal.

Properly maintained wicks will result in medium-size flames and little or no smoke and soot emissions. If the flames seem too small and one or both of the wicks don’t stay lit, don’t despair. The candle can be easily repaired and reactivated.

The following two scenarios typically account for a candle that will not stay lit for the recommended burn time of 4 hours or less.

When a highly scented candle has been left burning for 6-8 hours or more, the heat from the melting bath can strip the wicks from its wax coating, leaving them unstable and causing them to collapse.

When the wicks are clipped too far, the result is very small flames and one or both wicks may not stay lit. If a consumer is comfortable reviving a mismanaged candle, they can follow these simple steps to repair it:

1. Light the wicks and allow the candle to burn as long as possible to form a pool of fusion.

2. Carefully test the temperature of the jar to make sure it is cool enough to handle (if a candle needs to revive, it will not completely melt and the small amount of melted wax will not cause the jar to heat up).

3. Although the jar should not be hot to the touch, handle it carefully and scoop 2-3 tablespoons of liquid or soft wax evenly from the top of the candle. When the candle has completely cooled down, the wicks should appear longer as the wax level has dropped. Trim the tops of the highlights (not too short) and straighten if necessary.

4. Turn back on and enjoy!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *